Counterfeiting and other related criminal activities such as diversion, theft and tampering are a growing problem in today’s society where globalisation of trade and the nurturing of brand image are essential to business survival. “Counterfeiting is a highly profitable tax-free cash business and it is lining the pockets of the same criminals involved in murder, drug trafficking, gun-running and extortion” (IACC).
Axess Technologies Ltd supports clients in building corporate brand protection strategies: from the initial data audit, intelligence gathering and analysis, through to the prioritisation of resource allocation and individual risk assessments, to the development of comprehensive strategies and detailed action plans. Axess Technologies Ltd provides project management and technical resources, as well as a range of specialist skills through partner organisations that enable clients to build comprehensive and effective programmes to combat the fraudsters.
Axess Technologies Ltd provides a range of strategic services to its clients:
- Risk Assessment Services
- Brand Protection Strategy Development
- Data Collation and Research, Prioritisation, ROI and Measurement
- Crisis Management
There are a large number of companies globally offering a range of security technologies, from holograms and markers to inks and RFID. It is becoming more difficult for brand owners to differentiate between these technologies and choose the most appropriate and cost-effective solution for their particular problems.
Axess Technologies Ltd does not represent any suppliers or sell products and is therefore uniquely positioned to provide objective and unbiased advice to brand owners or their associations.
Axess Technologies Ltd provides a range of technical services for brand owners.
- Product and Packaging Development: Provision of a skilled technical resource, supporting clients during the development and implementation of new security devices.
- Testing for Counterfeit Resistance: Assessment of counterfeit resistance of individual security devices before implementation.
- Confidential Sourcing: Whilst preserving the brand owner’s anonymity, supporting the client in formulating specifications, identifying suppliers, requesting information and prices, as well as assistance in license and pricing negotiations and supplier vetting.
- Technology Training: Axess Technologies Ltd offers a wide range of technology training, enabling clients to gain a better understanding of the overall brand protection strategy development process and the use of security technologies and their potential applications.
A brand owner in the pharmaceutical industry commissioned Axess Technologies to assess a counterfeiting issue in a specific geographical area, where production costs were extremely low, the product packaging was minimal and the public was mostly illiterate. Axess Technologies Ltd developed a methodology that provided a useful structure to the discussions (see diagram below). Several technology options were presented and Axess Technologies Ltd subsequently supported the client in developing the new overt authentication solution.
The Product Surety Initiative Working Groups sponsored by the US Food and Drug Association (FDA). Axess Technologies Ltd was a sub-contractor to the Physical Science Laboratory for the FDA-sponsored Product Surety Initiative project for regulated food and drug companies. The one-year project involved two sets of workshops for industry managers, one for the food sector and the other for the drugs sector. Axess Technologies Ltd provided specially tailored technology training for each group. As part of the overall project deliverables Axess Technologies Ltd was also charged with the development of the contents for a security technologies database. The design of this evolved during the working group process with presentations and dialogue designed to shape the structure and operation of the web based database to the requirements of the users. Overall Axess Technologies Ltd's role within these working groups was threefold:
- To provide an impartial review of available security technologies relevant to the interests of the specific working groups.
- To facilitate discussions regarding supply chain issues, risks and criminal activities within each sector.
- To present the capabilities of a security technologies database and feed back comments and requirements to the software designers.
A leading Luxury goods manufacturer employed Axess Technologies Ltd to undertake a needs analysis of the leather goods products. This information was used to determine appropriate security solutions in time for the launch of a new range of products. Axess Technologies Ltd supported the Brand Owner by identifying relevant security technology suppliers and co-ordinating their responses and assisted the Brand Owner in the product specification and negotiation with the technology provider.